Friday, January 23, 2009

MLK day!



Bundled up close on the floor of the Mandarin Hotel we woke up to quiet voices saying "snow! Snow!", and we hurled out of our sleeping bags and got ready for a special day in honor of Martin Luther King. Right then and there in the bathroom of the hotel it hit me I felt "homesick" because of all the sleepless nights, and hard work, it caught up with me. I pulled myself together, with a little of Aron's help, and Sophia and Kendal by my side. I had a choice today because of my breakdown, if I wanted to go with Aron to the capital for a meeting, and then go to the hotel and rest, and maybe a little shopping and get our nails done, but I pulled myself together and personally made the choice to stick with my original plans. Which I am glad I did.
Today Christian, Sophia, Brian, Richard and I were of to Marvin Gay Park, once known as "needle park". The neighborhood that it was set in was a poor community, and really gave us a run for our money,  and how plentiful we have it back home. When we arrived there, by the help of Richards GPS in the car, we were handed rakes and huge black bags to rake and help clean the park. It wasn't something I'm sure we all didn't want to do in the cold, but we were thankful that we got to help form a community on this very special day. We got some great interviews, and awesome pictures!
After cleaning the park we got back in Richards car, and were headed to the hotel were we would meet up with John Mellencamps sons, Speck and Hud. With the company of Speck, Hud and Sophia, we all meandered about the hotel, and surfed the elevators, and explores each floor. We later came across 3 muscular bodyguards on the 9th floor, and scurried back into the elevator. Later we met up with Elaine Mellencamp chatting with Jamie Foxx, and that wasn't unusual said Speck. 
At around 5:30, Speck and Hud left and the teen press went to Starbucks for a meeting. We decided on which kids would go to the roof top for the Inauguration, and which kids would go the the mall, and who would get tickets to go to the Inauguration. Mary, Marandah, and Sierra would get tickets to the Inauguration, and the other places we were still waiting on. After the meeting everyone except for Mary, Marandah and Sierra, went back to the church to chill out and have dinner. 
When we arrived at the Church we were pleasantly surprised by a troop of Boy Scouts meeting at the church also. As awkward as it was, we had to meet and greet with them. One boy scout that we came across looked as if he was 40, but actually 13, and had sideburns, a mustache, and long hair. His name was Mark, and he wished he was in an alternate universe. 
It was an exciting day, full of raking, playing, and pleasant boy scouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment